Access Campaign Vaccines Intern (Summer 2018)
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an
international humanitarian organization that provides medical care to people affected
by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) cannot treat patients
because medicines are too expensive, non-existent, or unavailable .
Sometimes, the only drugs we have are highly toxic or ineffective, and nobody
is looking for a better cure. In response to the need for better treatments,
vaccines and diagnostic tests, MSF set up its Access Campaign in 1999 to
improve care for patients.
The aims of MSF's Access Campaign are to:
• push for price cuts to medicines, vaccines, and diagnostic tests by stimulating the production of more affordable generic products.
• act as a watchdog to ensure that the corporate interests don’t win out over public health needs.
• steer the direction of medical research toward urgently needed new drugs, vaccines, and tests that don’t exist yet or are not tailored to the needs of people in developing countries.
• scope out, support, and monitor new models to fund medical research that respond to medical rather than corporate needs, and do not rely on charging sky high prices for the final product to pay for the research.
To support our operations in the field, the Access Campaign undertakes research and advocacy to raise the importance of the issue of access to essential medicines internationally. The Campaign hopes to achieve sustainable solutions to reduce the price of essential medicines and stimulate medical research and development for diseases that primarily affect low-income populations. The Campaign operates within the Program Department at MSF-USA
The Access Campaign Vaccines Intern will support the ongoing administrative and research activities of the Access Campaign as necessary to scale up the work on access to affordable and appropriate vaccines. This includes tracking the current issues relevant to the Access Campaign, providing research and analytical support to the Vaccines Policy Advisor of the Access Campaign, supporting the overall management of data and files, and assisting in preparation of information for advocacy and policy strategies.
Candidates should have interest in and knowledge of global public health, global health policy and funding, and the current status of vaccination programs and services in developing nations. This internship is ideal for anyone with a special interest in vaccines policy and the lack of access to essential medicines in the developing world.
Access Campaign Vaccines Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Participate in conference calls of internal networks' working groups and assist with preparation, note taking, and dissemination of key documents
- Conduct research on vaccination technologies, strategies, and policies
- Draft summaries and reports on vaccination-related studies and documents
- Maintain a database of key literature/references
- Provide general administrative support
- Other tasks as assigned
Applicants should have:
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience in global health advocacy and/or Master’s Degree preferable
- Excellent attention to detail and proofreading ability
- An interest in medical humanitarian aid and the movement towards access to essential medicines for the most vulnerable populations
- Initiative and confidence to work independently and ask questions in a fast-paced work environment
- A working knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Other languages, particularly French, a plus
Desired Hiring Date
Employment End Date
To apply, please send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed.
Example: If you are applying to the IT Internship for the Spring 2018 program, then your email Subject line should be: IT Intern - Spring 2018.
If you are applying for more than one internship position, please send an email for each position using the example above.
Note: Preferred document submission format is PDF and Microsoft Word Document.
Application Deadline: April 18, 2018