Exhibition Intern (Summer 2018)
Job Posting Title
Exhibition Intern (Summer 2018)
Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian
organization that provides medical care to people affected by conflict,
epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Communications Department is responsible for developing a coherent voice and delivering clear public messages to inform both US and international audiences of MSF, its field activities and the humanitarian principles that underpin them; to raise awareness about the plight of the populations we serve; to promote public communication aimed at exposing and describing the field reality, including dilemmas and challenges; and to garner public understanding for our advocacy messages related to field operational concerns and the Access Campaign, via the media, print and digital channels , public awareness and advocacy campaigns, conferences, etc.
Without Borders’ Forced from Home is an outdoor, interactive educational
exhibition designed to raise public awareness about the plight of the world’s
60 million refugees and displaced people uprooted by war and conflict. Through
this exhibition visitor are asked to imagine experiencing what it is like to be
a refugee forced to leave their homes because of war, conflict, disease, or
harsh environments. Forced From Home will travel throughout the US and Canada
for the next three years, attracting approximately 1,500 visitors per day.
The Exhibition Intern, in collaboration with the project support team, will be primarily responsible for coordinating all of the volunteer resources required for the successful operation of the tour. Additionally, the Exhibition Intern will assist with outreach to the education community, and will assist with the registration of school group tours. This is a hands-on office based position, offering the opportunity to become familiar with the tools through which MSF communicates its message to the general public. The ideal candidate will contribute creatively to these and other ongoing projects, while providing administrative support to the Exhibition team.
An undergraduate or graduate student with an interest in event planning, marketing, public education, or exhibition design would be best suited for this position.
Objective: To provide administrative assistance to the exhibition project support team in the form of volunteer management and education outreach and booking of group tours.
Exhibition Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
· Volunteer planning and coordination, including outreach to target audiences such as MSF Association Members, Donors, and partner volunteer organizations. The Exhibition Intern prepares volunteers for their duties, works with them to design a schedule, and shares this roster with the project support team (50%)
· School group tour coordination, including outreach to existing leads and prospective school attendees, and assisting the Administration Coordinator with the booking of school group tours of the exhibition. The Exhibition Intern prepares school groups for attendance through regular correspondence with teachers and principals, and by fulfilling distribution of educational tools and information created by the New York office (40%)
· Administrative support to the Exhibition Project Team (10%)
Strong interest in event planning, marketing, public education, or exhibition
· Research experience and good written and verbal communication skills
· Experience in event planning a plus
· Above average computer literacy preferred, with an emphasis on Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
· Strong professional, interpersonal, and organizational skills
· Excellent phone manner, including comfort when cold calling schools, volunteers, and partner organizations
Desired Hiring Date
Employment End Date
Working Time %
To apply, please send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed.
Example: If you are applying to the IT Internship for the Spring 2018 program, then your email Subject line should be: IT Intern - Spring 2018.
If you are applying for more than one internship position, please send an email for each position using the example above.
Note: Preferred document submission format is PDF and Microsoft Word Document.
Application Deadline: April 18, 2018