Social Media and Press Relations Intern Spring/Summer 2019
SOCIAL MEDIA AND PRESS RELATIONS INTERN SPRING/SUMMER 2019
Women Enabled International (WEI) is expanding its Social Media presence! We are looking for a dedicated, enthusiastic, and innovative individual who can assist the Social Media Team to assist the Social Media Team with maintaining and developing our social media presence.
This individual must be able to commit to working a minimum of 8-10 hours per week on assigned days and times in an unpaid intern position. Although Women Enabled International is headquartered in Washington, D.C., a reliable and committed intern can work remotely and communicate with the organization online via Skype, email and phone. D.C. based interns will be asked to work from WEI’s D.C. office for at least one day a week. This is a unique opportunity to work in an innovative, rapidly growing nonprofit organization, gain and improve skills, and gain experience working in collaboration with others.
WEI Social Media Program Mission:
The WEI social media platforms have four primary goals, which we seek to achieve through our posts and engagement with other social media contributors. They are: (1) Publication of WEI’s work and fundraising; (2) Provision of resources and information for women and girls with disabilities around the world to support their work, including highlighting opportunities for engagement in women’s rights spaces; (3) Provision of resources and information about women and girls with disabilities and their work around the world, including imagery and stories that counter the charity-based imagery of women and girls with disabilities that predominates in the media; (4) Engagement with the global disability community.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send required documents to: personnel@WomenEnabled.org
For more information: http://www.WomenEnabled.org
Send a detailed cover letter & your resume to Women Enabled International at Personnel@WomenEnabled.org with "Social Media Internship" in the subject line. Application deadline is 11:59pm EST on January 17, 2019.
NO phone calls, please. In your cover letter, please detail your relevant skills as well as your interest in the mission of the organization.
Only finalists will be contacted. This is an unpaid position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Assisting the Social Media Team in the developing and planning of social media strategies, events, fundraising campaigns and scheduling.
· Completing assigned post drafting and inserting into post schedule for review.
· Reviewing edits on posts for organization’s social media channels – including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram – made by Social Media Team Coordinator or Social Media Team Manager and updating posts accordingly.
· Researching, monitoring, and reporting online news concerning disability rights and/or women’s rights issues to highlight on social media.
· Compiling a list of reporters and news outlets that feature stories relating to people with disabilities, especially women and girls.
· If working remotely, send email to Social Media Team Manager and Coordinator when starting internship hours and send email when logging out for the day with bullet point list of tasks completed.
· Miscellaneous assignments from other Social Media team members.
· Attending weekly social media team meetings.
· Strong social media skills, and experience managing social media channel(s) for a club, organization or business – particularly Twitter and Facebook
· Familiarity with Hootsuite
· Strong written English skills
· Excellent communication skills.
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, managing multiple priorities
· Attention to detail, organizational skills, and flexibility
· Strong track record of project management / project completion
· Self-motivated and enthusiastic about learning about the rights of women and girls with disabilities worldwide; disability rights and previous NGO experience preferred
· Telecommuting/working at home required, and the availability of own computer or laptop & internet access
· Major in one of the following preferred: Communications, Women's Rights, Disability Rights, Human Rights, International Relations, Political Science Interdisciplinary Studies, or Social Media/Public Relations
· Prior experience with digital fundraising and social media analytics is preferred, but not required