Job Location: Tennessee Rehabilitation Center, 460 Ninth Avenue, Smyrna, TN, 37167
The Department of Human Services’ (TDHS) mission is to build strong families by connecting Tennesseans to employment, education and support services. Our vision is to revolutionize the customer experience through innovation and a seamless network of services.
The Rehabilitation Assistant position reports the Tennessee Rehabilitation Center Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 5:00pm until 6:30am.
The Tennessee Department of Human Services is announcing a vacancy for a Rehabilitation Assistant position. This vacancy is within the Division of Rehabilitation Services and is responsible for assisting in the day to day operations in the residential area on the Tennessee Rehabilitation Center’s campus to ensure the students safety and provide assistance when needed. The Rehabilitation Assistant reports to the Residential Living Supervisor and is responsible for monitoring the dormitory, cleaning and sanitizing common areas of the dormitory, entering documentation into the center’s database to ensure pertinent information is current and available, provides communication between shifts and departments, and student interaction.
- Completes a minimum of hourly walking rounds throughout the dormitory and outside courtyard area
- Identifies and documents safety discrepancies and work orders that need to be addressed
- Cleans and sanitizes common areas where students socialize
- Once vacated, cleans and sanitizes students’ rooms to prepare for the next student
- Is able to implement the Crisis Response Plan in case of an emergency (clear rooms of all dormitories if needed, walk back and forth to the safe areas accounting for students, work with emergency personnel, etc.)
- Conduct a nightly bed check of all rooms to assure students are accounted for at the end of the shift
- Provide accurate assessments of the needs of students regarding living skills to be documented and referrals made for further education on areas needed
- Work with students to increase their independence in home management, laundry skills, hygiene, money recognition, basic math, etc. by working both one-on-one and in class setting with the students
- Creating community based training for the students by transporting the students to the local area and working on the independent skills in a “real life” setting to assist with transferring these skills back to the community
- Documentation of classroom and one-on-one interactions of the student’s progress
- Effectively identify potentially explosive situations, take appropriate action as needed, and convey information to the appropriate staff as needed
- Works with co-workers to create plans, schedules, and other activities to work with the students to assist in them gaining their highest level of independence
- Understand and follow through with all center and departmental policies and procedures and be able to implement those independently asking for clarification when needed
- Work the desk answering student questions, working with visitors and others from the public, monitoring individuals coming in and out of the building, etc.
- Work with students to recognize appropriate social interactions with others and to recognize body language, facial expressions, and verbal cues in conversations
- Intervene with students during conflicts to work on resolving those conflicts
- Communicate between shifts and with other departments necessary information to assist with the success, health and safety of students.
§ Education and Experience: Education equivalent to high school graduation or a General Education Degree AND experience equivalent to three years of full-time experience in teaching, teaching assistance, training, manufacturing or production control work, or in providing services to handicapped clients.
§ Substitution of Experience for Education: Qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis, to a maximum of four years.
§ Substitution of Education for Experience: Additional college coursework in education, a social or behavioral science, business management, production management, or other related field may be substituted for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
§ Dealing with Ambiguity
§ Problem solving
§ Organizing and Planning
§ Time Management
§ Written Communications
§ Customer Focused
§ Integrity and Trust
§ Judgment and Decision Making
§ Problem Sensitivity
Information regarding State of Tennessee benefits:
§ Target Salary: $21,432. The directly related experience, knowledge, skills and abilities of the selected candidate will determine the actual salary offer.
Applicants may be subject to background check.