Keep the Policy team one step ahead to transform the food system
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is at the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic resistance and the exploitation of billions of animals annually.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will have the opportunity to level the playing field for plant-based and cell-based meat in the United States, working closely with the Policy team on a variety of legislative and regulatory priorities. The Policy Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Working collaboratively with the Policy team on research and analysis to advance GFI’s mission.
- Writing letters, fact sheets, and other materials to support GFI’s policy priorities.
- Developing and maintaining close working relationships with professionals at other nonprofit organizations.
- Planning and participating in meetings and taking careful notes.
- Staying abreast of policy developments that affect plant-based and cell-based meat, including the status of legislation and regulations, and communicating them to the team.
- Working with other departments as needed to provide policy support to their initiatives and to encourage their involvement in the Policy team’s legislative and regulatory priorities.
- Supporting efforts to involve plant-based and cell-based meat companies in the Policy team’s work.
- Following all lobbying reporting procedures, as applicable.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Who We’re Looking For
The Policy Coordinator must have:
- A bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of two years’ professional experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex information clearly in writing.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong work ethic and self-motivation.
- Flexibility and a positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently and on a team.
- Ability to use sound judgment in decision making, including setting and managing priorities, proposing and meeting deadlines, and resolving logistics challenges.
- Comfort working in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission and the ability to advocate professionally for GFI’s positions.
- Demonstrated interest in public health, environmentalism, animal protection, or hunger relief.
The ideal candidate would also have:
- A background in political science, communications, or a related field.
- Nonprofit or government experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Jessica Almy, Director of Policy
- Location: Washington, DC
- Benefits: Full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- This is a U.S.-based position: We are only able to consider applicants who are United States citizens or who already possess a United States Worker Visa.
- Salary: $45,000-$50,000