Human Resource Intern (Human Resource Consultant 1)
Do you want to launch your career in human resources? Interested in gaining experience with the State? The Department of Ecology has an exciting opportunity for someone starting their career in Human Resources who has a passion for finding creative solutions and working with multiple internal and external partners.
The successful candidate for the Human Resources Consultant 1 internship will be part of the training, diversity, and recruitment teams, and will be exposed to multiple HR disciplines. We are looking for a creative, collaborative problem solver who wants to learn and grow as part of a dynamic HR team. Join us as we work toward our vision of being recognized as the nation's leading environmental workforce.
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington's environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism and accountability.
This position will be based at our headquarters building in Lacey, Washington.
To learn more about The Department of Ecology, please visit our website at www.ecology.wa.gov and check us out on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or our blog.
This internship is a great opportunity to:
- Learn about human resources in the state system.
- Maintain a flexible schedule while gaining professional level experience. We offer flexible work hours and days, including the option for part-time work.
- Contribute to Ecology's mission by providing professional level support to our training and recruitment teams.
What will this position do?
This position contributes to meeting the mission of the agency and the Human Resources Office (HRO) by serving as a training and recruitment consultant providing entry level human resource training and recruitment services and performing administrative human resource functions related to such services in order to ensure excellent customer service levels within the training and recruitment units and the HR Program. This includes:
- Supports the Human Resource Consultants in Recruitment by posting all open positions to a minimum of 8 external recruitment sources per position.
- Documents and organizes the new and existing recruiting resources gathered from recruiting needs assessments on a team SharePoint site in order to make these options available to other Hiring Managers and other Human Resource Consultants in Recruitment as new positions arise.
- Closes out filled positions in NEOGOV and on other external websites. Communicates with Hiring Managers reporting the number of hits on the position while in the market.
- Updates Recruiting SharePoint site as directed by more senior HR Recruiting Consultant staff or Recruiting, Training, and Diversity Manager.
- Meets weekly with the RTD Manager and Human Resource Consultants in Recruitment to communicate the current state of open recruitments.
- Answers general training questions from Agency staff.
- Assists with service delivery of training workshops.
- Copies sign in sheets and evaluations after every class.
- Scores and records class evaluations.
- Assists with the maintenance of the training rooms.
- Assists Instructors with equipment needs.
- Prepares class hand-out materials.
- Works with regional staff for remote training service delivery.
- Sends confirmation reminder emails 2 weeks prior to class.
- Maintains evaluation tracking and filing of employee workshop evaluations in a timely and accurate manner.
This position offers flexible work hours and days
- This internship can be either full or part time, depending on the schedule of the successful candidate.
- Our office hours are 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday. Work hours can be adjusted as needed to fit your schedule, in consultation with the supervisor.
- The target duration for this internship is 6 months.
This recruitment will remain open until filled. The initial screening will be on August 16, 2019. In order to be considered for the initial screening, please submit an application on or before August 15, 2019. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.
Please do NOT include your salary history.
A Bachelor's degree with focus on business, human resources, social or organizational behavioral sciences, or related field.
Equivalent experience could include any of the following:
- Responds to inquiries from employees, managers, and members of the public; assesses needs, identifies and evaluates options, and recommends courses of action
- Receives, reviews, responds to and/or assists in resolving customer inquiries.
- Provides benefits information to employees and retirees; enrolls employees in retirement and insurance programs
- Composes correspondence; maintains records and statistics; analyzes and compiles data and information for reports; prepares narrative or statistical reports
- Develops and/or assists in the development and presentation of training materials
- Conducts surveys of other employers' practices such as wages, benefits, human resource policies and programs, and participates in implementing revisions to human resource programs
- Supervises or directs the work of support staff.
- Prior HR training consulting experience.
- Prior professional level recruiting experience.
- SHRM or IPMA certificate.