Program Associate, Professional Exchanges Division
The Program Associate (PA) works under the supervision of a Program Officer (PO) as part of a two-person team implementing the Department of State’s (DoS) International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP). Responsible for all of the administrative and logistical arrangements for the IVLP participants, the PA disburses and accounts for U.S. Government funds, completes travel arrangements, prepares program documents, and communicates with a wide-range of individuals involved in the program.
- Uses database to prepare visitors' biographic information
- Prepares welcome materials, including sightseeing information
- Manages, disburses, tracks and reconciles authorized funds such as per diem, cultural allowance, ground transportation, and travel advances
- Arranges program logistics, including domestic flights, accommodations, ground transportation, cultural events, and group enhancements while staying within budget limits
- Briefs visitors at program opening session and pre-departure meeting on IVLP provisions, including funding, health insurance, and travel arrangements
- For group projects, develops comprehensive budgets of projected expenses in consultation with PO for proposal submission to DoS
- Uses database to prepare group program booklets and correspondence for each program, as well as arranges to have program documents translated, if necessary
- Promptly pays bills, reconciles monthly Visa credit card statements, and processes travel expense reimbursements
- Distributes biographic information and program booklets according to established timetables
- Completes final accounting of total project expenditures for DoS and Meridian Finance Office according to established timetables
- Maintains key documents in a permanent file, which is prepared for off-site storage
- Communicates and regularly up-dates DoS officers and coordinators about administrative issues
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
Minimum Qualifications Experience/Education
Undergraduate degree in International Relations, Global Studies, or related fields; or any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with Washington, DC and the United States
- Knowledge and experience in the use of computer systems
- Ability to work effectively and accurately under pressure
- Mature judgment and the ability to set priorities
- Excellent attention to detail
- Superior organizational skills
- Ability to carry out responsibilities independently while functioning as part of a team
- Tact in communicating with international visitors and all other persons involved in the program
- Sensitivity to foreign cultures
Physical Effort and Dexterity
Visual Acuity, Hearing, and Speaking
Excellent verbal and written command of the English language
Environment and Scheduling
- Interest in working with an international not-for-profit professional exchange organization
- Interest in working within a diverse work environment This position is classified as FLSA non-exempt.
Employer’s Statement and Rights
This position posting does not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, and their education and experience. The employer has the right to revise this posting at any time. Neither this posting nor the job description is a contract for employment.
Meridian is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@meridian.org. Subject line should read “PED Program Associate Application” only and a cover letter and resume should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered as applicants. Only candidates being considered for this position will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS in reference to this position will be accepted.