Summer Internship Position
The position is based in Chicago
June 1st – August 28th, 2020
Porter Novelli is a global purpose communication consultancy with offices across the US and internationally in London, Dublin, Mexico City, Canada & Brussels. Our mission is to work with clients to find their authentic ambition to make a positive impact on society. We craft a unique brand position and build internal and external communication strategies that drive perception and the bottom line. We know that having a clear purpose is essential to building a customer base that will support and advocate on behalf of any organization in any situation. And we can prove that companies with recognized values and vision perform better, year over year. This is our value proposition and our heritage. It’s what sets Porter Novelli apart.
About the position
We are looking for rising seniors or recently graduated students who want to kick-start their career in the Public Relations field. This three-month immersive internship program will provide training with top PR professionals, culminating in a real-world client presentation assignment.
You will be challenged to think differently, to bring a diversity of thinking and experience and contribute to purposefully driven strategic communications activities for our clients.
The application process
If you are interested in the Porter Novelli Chicago Summer Internship program, please apply online. All applications will be reviewed, and the top 20 candidates will be interviewed and asked to complete a short PR challenge and a writing assignment. Recent graduates in this program will act as fully integrated members of account teams and will be assigned a mentor for support and guidance in helping the intern get acclimated into the PR industry and business environment.
If you are driven, energetic and understand that bringing a great attitude to work is the key ingredient for success then we want to hear from you!
What you will do
- Assist in the development of written materials, including press kits, pitch letters, coverage recaps, and general client correspondence
- Responsible for preparing media mailers and maintaining product inventory closets (*requires some physical activity able to lift approximately 20lb)
- Media monitoring for relevant trends, brand, and competitor coverage
- Coordinate team meetings, call agendas, team notes, and administrative support for special events and/or conferences
- Develop and regularly update media lists and editorial calendars; track media moves and update teams accordingly
- Research and vet members of the media and publications; provide recommendations for new targets
- Analyze industry and marketplace trends and summarize for teams
- Create and maintain coverage reports and monthly dashboards
- Support multiple account teams with various projects
- Provide additional support to teams and Chicago office as necessary
- Participate in office-wide initiatives, including professional development and brainstorm sessions
The experience that will contribute to your success
- You can efficiently organize and manage multiple tasks with a keen eye for details
- Writing comes as second nature to you and in all forms, you express your ideas in a clear and concise manner
- You ideally have previous internship experience in a public relations firm
- Ability to work full-time (M-F) for the duration of the internship in Chicago as part of an account team
- Only applicants who are raising seniors or who have graduated will be considered
As the agency that pioneered communications for behavior change, Porter Novelli has origins that are distinctive from any other major player in public relations. Over forty years ago, Jack Porter and Bill Novelli realized that classic marketing disciplines could be reapplied to public relations communications to make a positive social impact on the world.
Porter Novelli exists to inspire companies, organizations, and brands to make a positive impact by creating a collaborative, diverse and inclusive environment designed to drive innovation and liberate greatness in our people, clients and partners.
Our ambition is simple – to become the most passionately recommended agency in the world. If you are a communications professional that shares our Social Purpose values of embracing imagination, collaborating fiercely, digging deeply, standing up for the right idea, liberating greatness and making a positive impact there's a home for you at Porter Novelli—Join Us.
Porter Novelli is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in any aspect of employment against any person on account of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, disabled veteran, veteran of the Vietnam era or other eligible veteran, age, marital status, veteran status, or physical or mental handicap unrelated in nature and extent to an individual's ability to perform a job or any other characteristic protected by the employment discrimination laws in any state or political subdivision in which Porter Novelli does business.