Secretary General's Office Internship (Winter/Spring 2021)
Position: Secretary General’s Office Internship
Supervisor: Senior Assistant to the Secretary General- Ms. Emma Jackson
Application Deadline for Spring 2021: 30 November 2020
Duration: Minimum of 3 months; to be determined by intern and supervisor
Location: New York City (depending on state and city official guidelines and “work-from-home-order”)
Religions for Peace (RfP) is a global interfaith peacebuilding coalition active in 90 countries across 6 regions, celebrating its 50th year advancing action for peace in 2020. Headquartered in New York and accredited to the United Nations, RfP has six strategic priorities: 1) Promote Peaceful, Just and Inclusive Societies, 2) Advance Gender Equality, 3) Nurture a Sustainable Environment, 4) Champion Freedom of Thought, Conscience and Religion, 5) Strengthen Interreligious Education, 6) Foster Multi-religious Collaboration and Global Partnerships.
To learn more about these priorities and our commitments, see our Strategic Plan.
More information about RfP: www.rfp.org.
The intern will assist the Office of the Secretary General in ongoing programmes and projects:
· Maintain and update directory and database of interreligious councils, and partners in faith based-organizations, civil society and government.
· Research, synthesize information, and prepare profiles on interreligious councils, and religious leaders.
· Provide technical and logistical support for webinar planning and implementation.
· Support Secretary General’s Office in letter writing, scheduling and other communication.
· Provide other relevant assistance to the Secretary General’s Office as assigned
- Currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student, majoring in: International Studies, Political Science, Religious Studies, Public Policy, Non-profit Management, Communications, or a related field
- Strong writing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to work virtually and hold oneself accountable to deliverables without in-person oversight
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work professionally and sensitively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Fast learner, tech-savvy, and able to multi-task
- Interest/background in interreligious work, enthusiasm for learning, and reliability are pluses
- Fluency in English required. French, Arabic or Spanish language skills would be an asset
Primary learning outcomes include:
- Gain knowledge in interreligious dialogue, international peacemaking, and COVID-19 response from a multi-religious lens.
- Strengthen writing skills in a professional setting
- Solve problems and better understand the realities and intricacies of working in an international non-governmental organization.
- Learn from diverse and dedicated staff and leaders of RfP
- Improve language skills (French, Spanish, Arabic, etc).
- Note: Additional learning outcomes are dependent on the type of internship
We are pleased to offer our interns a number of benefits:
- Support in receiving college credit
- Metro Card throughout the internship (if/when travel to New York office is required)
*All applicants are required to present their own active insurance enrollment.
Please send a cover letter, resume, list of references, and an optional writing sample to Ms. Emma Jackson firstname.lastname@example.org before 30 November 2020.
Because we receive a high volume of applications, only candidates who are invited to interview will be contacted. Thank you for your kind understanding.
Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.