Office of Support, Healing, Activism, and Prevention Education (SHAPE) – SHAPE Intern Position Description
The Support, Healing, Activism & Prevention Education (SHAPE) Office Intern plays a multi-functional role in sexual violence prevention, education and outreach initiatives in the Wesleyan community. The SHAPE Intern provides trained peer support to help students navigate on and off campus resources. The intern also serves as a liaison among administrative staff and student groups engaged in sexual violence prevention and response initiatives. Overall, this position requires an average 6-8 hour per week time commitment.
The SHAPE Intern is a Responsible Employee, and reports to the SHAPE Director. The SHAPE Intern reports all disclosures of sexual violence, dating violence, stalking, and sexual harassment (i.e. interpersonal violence) to the SHAPE Director, whether these disclosures occur during or after official office hours. Disclosures of interpersonal violence are reported confidentially to Public Safety.
· Engage in primary prevention efforts throughout the year including new student orientation, WeSpeak, WeStand bystander intervention trainings, Residence Life training (schedule dependent) and other initiatives.
· Participate in Title IX Student Advisory Committee to promote dialogue, enhance programming and review university policy and resources.
· Connect and collaborate with existing student groups working on sexual violence response and prevention.
· Work collaboratively with WesWell Peer Health Advocates and/or WesWell Interns in relation to sexual health and/or interpersonal violence prevention initiatives.
· Attend Title IX Education Committee monthly meetings and corresponding Tri-Chair meetings.
· Serve as the Student Representative on the Title IX Education Committee Tri-Chair.
· Manage social media accounts for SHAPE Office and identify articles, relative links, and work to increase visibility of social media outlets to students. Post/schedule articles to be posted daily.
· Provide 1 weekly office hour, with flexibility for additional meetings if necessary. The intern’s role is not to provide direct services, but to serve as a liaison and facilitator, connecting students with existing resources both on and off campus.
· Demonstrated ability to maintain boundaries appropriate to sensitive interactions. This includes maintaining interpersonal boundaries and protecting the privacy of others.
· Demonstrated understanding of the needs of the diverse communities that form the larger Wesleyan community.
· Commitment to continuing education related to interpersonal violence prevention and response best practices.
· Previous work or other experience germane to the position.
· Commitment to the prevention of interpersonal violence including sexual assault, relationship violence, sexual harassment, and stalking.
· Demonstrated ability to interact gracefully, sensitively, and professionally with other students, student groups, administrators, et al.
· Demonstrated creativity and problem solving skills.
· Previous experience and comfort with delivering presentations and workshops helpful, but not required.
· Previous experience organizing events helpful, but not required.
· Good academic and judicial standing.
· Position is open to rising sophomores, juniors and seniors. Applicants must be present for the entire 2020-2021 academic year.
Self-evaluation and supervisor evaluations are completed at the end of each semester based on review of work performed.
Pay rate is $13.00/hour, with possibility for raise if position offered to student to continue for another year (based on performance and experience).
Scheduling and hours per week:
· Student will typically work between hours of 9 am – 5 pm, with exception of some weekend and evening events as needed.
· Expected hours per week range between 6-8 pm maximum, with the exception of some weeks during SSM itself (April) where greater programming support will be needed.
· Submit application through Handshake
· Send resume through Handshake or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Supervisor: Johanna DeBari, SHAPE Office Director
Contact: Johanna DeBari, SHAPE Office Director
Contact Email: email@example.com