Information Management Research (Summer 2017)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking an Information Management Research Paid Intern for Summer 2017. This position is located in Norwell, Massachusetts.
Battelle’s Norwell Operations performs environmental science with emphasis in marine science. Our Data Management group specializes in the development and operation of database and web systems for the management of analytical chemistry, biology, fisheries, and health data from large environmental field investigations including oil spill, environmental remediation, and environmental monitoring programs.
The Information Management research intern’s responsibilities will include web application development and/or database development activities in support of environmental monitoring and assessments programs.
· Work semi-independently on a data-driven web application development project under the direction of an experienced task leader.
· Provide data management support to environmental projects.
· Conduct technical work and produce quality results in a timely manner.
· Support data handling needs for field sampling programs.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
· Must be enrolled in a university or college pursuing a Bachelor's degree and majoring in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related major
· At least two years of college-level coursework completed
· Minimum GPA 3.0
· Evidence of good communication skills (written and verbal)
· Available to work 32-40/week
· Proven ability and willingness to quickly learn new skills.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
· Classes or experience in database management systems (Oracle, SqlServer, SQL)
· Classes or experience in environmental science, marine science, chemistry, biology, fisheries, or related fields.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers